You know, it is not an uncommon thing to feel like things are not going the way you would like them to. From waking up late for work to coming home and hearing your husband yell out, "Eew! Tay, Nanna just barfed on the carpet," things may seem a bit discouraging at times. But chin up! There is more than waking up on time and a dog-barf-free house.
On days where you feel like you're twenty pounds heavier than you were a mere 12 hours ago (while physiologically impossible unless you're carrying around two 10 lb. hand weights, some of us still feel like that sometimes) and yet you still really have a craving to eat all the sweet and sugar filled foods that cross your path, do not fret; there is still something to look forward to.
In those moments where you feel the blood rush to your face as you realize you should have held your tongue about the chicken salad because the devastatingly shy new employee at work brought it in for everyone to enjoy, take your foot out of your mouth. Well, maybe not. Put it back in, but don't let yourself get down about it. You are not an idiot... just a bit too anxious to say your piece when you should take a few more seconds to think things through.
I heard a quote once that said, "Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections."
So what if there's a day where your hair doesn't look perfect (okay, so maybe it's far from perfect) and the dog threw up. In looking past those unfortunate happenings is an opportunity to laugh at yourself, to laugh at the dog barf, and to decide to be happy as you grab the carpet cleaner and Clorox wipes.
On those days where you feel like you're going to bust the seams on your favorite pair of jeans yet you still ate the chocolate cake, it really is not a big deal. Yes, being healthy is a good thing, but there is always tomorrow where you have the opportunity to eat plenty of bell peppers, cucumbers, celery, apples, oranges, and sticks... just for fiber.
And at those times where you do something that would lead people to assume you are half as intelligent as you truly are, just take a deep breath and laugh at yourself. Look past your faux pas and take the opportunity to do something nice for the new employee at your work to make them feel welcome.
I have decided something today. In fact, I decided it just ten minutes ago before I sat down to write this blog. I have decided to look past the little imperfections in my life and see all of the opportunities I have to laugh and enjoy the loved ones I have around me. I'm going to look past the rainy days that create the puddles that inevitably get the bottom of my pant legs wet. I'm going to look past my frizzy hair that won't stay nicely braided no matter how hard I try. And I'm going to look past my own murmuring and ungratefulness and realize all that I have. I am so blessed. How do I know? Because I've decided.
Taylor, you are awesome. And you always inspire me. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteMe too! I need to start thinking like that... I need to decide. :)
ReplyDelete