Friday, September 17, 2010

I Love My Ankle

Today has been... well, a day. 

A day full of volleyball, re-sprained ankles, hobbling to class, embarrassing myself in chemistry class, and Pickett's Bambino. But lets start the story at the beginning.

It was the year 1999... 
and I at the spry age of 9 was at my house on a typical Friday afternoon. My parents were readying themselves to leave for their weekly date that night, and the baby sitter was on her way over. She arrived and my parents left. We all sat around, talked, and watched a little TV. Then it was time to go outside and play. The toy of choice: the trampoline. As we jumped and jumped and jumped and jumped jumped jumped, we decided that the kids would sit and the baby sitter would jump up and land so that we would go flying into the air! Sounds awesome, right?! 

Well, she jumped. She came back down. We went flying. And I landed on my right foot while it was bent sideways. The result: a sprained right ankle. I distinctly remember trying to walk inside and upon trying I fell down and crawled to the house. I quickly got placed on the couch with an ice pack on my ankle and big bowl of ice cream. All was well. 

Back to 2010.
The ball was served. My teammate received it, the setter tried to set a 4, but realized quickly that it was far too tight on the net. By the time she yelled, "tight!" It was too late. I had already taken my approach and swung at the ball but got thrown off by the placement of it. When I landed, my foot once again was bent sideways when I landed, causing my to fall on my butt and once again, roll my ankle. I didn't think much of it at first, but as the day went on it got worse. 

I went to chemistry class and volunteered to do a problem on the board. It was a simple density problem, and I got it right. However, upon trying to erase the board, the eraser slipped from my grip, flipped against the chalkboard, and came back and hit me. My face, shirt, and neck were covered in chalk powder. Great.

After class, I went over to Derek's apartment to eat and then go right back on campus for his class. Then, I had my dress fitting. So after Derek's class we tried to hurry home, but my ankle slowed me down and it was starting to hurt like none other, so Derek ran and got the car and picked me up so we could make it to my dress fitting. At the fitting, we were measuring for the hem. So I had to bring my heels. Hooray for standing/walking in 5 inch heels with a sprained ankle. 

Afterward, we went back to Derek's apartment and I iced my ankle as I did some homework. Then came the best part of the whole day: we went to Pickett's Bambino. It's this little shop that has these scones that are stuffed with pizza! Cheese, sauce, pepperoni, canadian bacon, pineapple, olives, mushrooms, green peppers, anything you can imagine! They were DELICIOUS. 

So today was... well, it was a day.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my dear Taylor. I understand those days. Could have been better! But it definitely could have been worse. :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have definitely had some of those days before, too! So sorry! Take it easy and make sure to nurse that ankle carefully! Good luck in chemistry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Angela! Haha, those kind of days keep us all on our toes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Taylor, I love you. That's all I have to say about this. :)

    ReplyDelete