Friday, January 28, 2011

I Know... It's Only One Month

My ears picked up on the slight click that the snag on the belt of our treadmill makes every time it cycles around.  As I felt the impact of each step I was taking, my mind was running with all of my tasks for the day. My day had been busy already and I still had more to accomplish before my husband came home. Husband... it's still something I'm getting used to saying. I love having a husband; having my best friend with me at every moment is a benefit I did not think I would value as much as I do. However I do wake up in the middle of the night a lot with mere inches left between me and the edge of the mattress. When asking him to give me more room, I get just a few more inches. Anyways, life is great being married. 

As I got off the treadmill and headed to stand in front of the fan to cool off, I started thinking about where I was one year ago. I had already met Derek, but we hadn't gone on our first date yet. All I knew of him was that his name was Derek Morgan and he was really tall and cute. He asked me out on our first date for February 6th. I hesitantly said yes, not knowing that it would lead to a friendship that not only would pick me up and put me back on my feet but one that would open my eyes and make me realize I wanted to marry him. 

I shut the fan off, closed the windows, and turned off the light. After quickly running through the shower, I threw my hair into a pony tail and ran to Fred Meyer. The Taurus started up right away when I turned the key. Haha, I remember when Derek and I went on our first date. When he showed up at my house to pick me up I was asleep and my little sister Morgan had to wake me up. I pulled myself off of my bed, looked in the mirror, patted my cheeks and headed down the stairs. I was not very excited. We went to Seattle and I was surprised by how much fun I had. Eight days later he asked me to be his Valentine.... and I turned him down. And after that he still brought me a birthday present even after rejection. 

Anyways, I got to Fred Meyer, made my purchases, and left the building. I passed the Fred Meyer Jewelers, and thought about this one afternoon when Derek and I were first dating. We were at his house just talking, and he asked about my retainer and if I would ever get a real tooth put in. I then responded, "Oh, my parents said they'll get it done before we- ..... uh, before I get married." That very same day we went to Fred Meyer and as we passed the Fred Meyer Jewelers he said, "Hey Tay, look!" I blushed, giggled, and walked past very swiftly. 

When I got home I pulled out some old magazines and cut out letters to spell out the words "My Sweetheart" to decorate the envelope of the card I bought for Derek. As a matter of fact, he's on his way upstairs right now and will probably see the card and the peanut butter M&M's attached to the back.

 I know it's silly and really not a huge accomplishment but... happy one month anniversary Derek!

2 comments: