Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Two Dots Connected

It is not uncommon while having a conversation with someone past the age of thirty for them to tell you that they still feel like they're 17 years old, new to life and excited about it. My own mother (though she, of course, is not past the age of thirty) has often commented in our conversations how she still feels like she is in her twenties. Even I, at my young age of 20 years 10 months and 36 days, still feel like I'm sixteen years old and in high school.

While my family was in the new BYU-I Center for Abbie's graduation, my mom and the mother of a fellow graduate that we have known for a long time, were talking about this very thing. As they were conversing, a thought popped into my mind that has been mulling around for the past month or so. Why is it that as we continue to age we still feel like we're in our prime of life? Our bodies are feeling the tolls of time as we acquire wrinkles and gray hair, aches and pains in our joints, and as the lean muscle tissue gets replaces by fatty tissue, we can physically see these changes that time and age cause. Yet inside of this aging chassis, we feel young. We feel like our skin is taut and our hair is bright with color. As all of this ran through my mind in a matter of milliseconds, I realized that these feelings that almost everyone experiences speak to the eternal nature of our spirits. 
All of those feelings and thoughts of still being young while you are growing in age, to me, support the truths that our souls are eternal; we lived before coming to Earth and we will continue to live after this Earth life. And as our spirits experience their true eternal nature, we will be in our prime of life. 

My mind processed and realized all of that in a matter of seconds. It was rather overwhelming, but very exciting to me at the same time. It was a moment where my mind was open, my heart was uplifted by the wonderful talks given, and I was able to connect two dots that otherwise might not have been connected. 
Take it or leave it... but I think it's pretty cool.

2 comments:

  1. I seriously NEVER thought Of Blogging until i noticed all your posts (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! That thought has never occurred to me, but you are totally right. I love it.

    ReplyDelete