Friday, January 14, 2011

More Than Just Absentmindedness

I honestly cannot believe what I did this morning. 

7:30 am
"Tay... wake up. It's 7:30, you have to go to work."
"I'm so tired..."
"When do you want to get up then?"
"7:45."

7:45 am
"Taylor, get up!"
"Urgh..."
"Fine. But if you say anything about not looking pretty today because you didn't get up in time, I'm not gonna sympathize with you."
"Ugh... okay."

I hopped in the shower at 7:50 and quickly finished getting myself ready to head out the door and leave for work. After I put the finishing touches on my hair and make up, I walked into my room and grabbed my bag and did a quick scan of the contents to make sure that I had my wallet and keys. I unplugged my phone from the charger, gave Derek a quick kiss goodbye, and walked out of the room.

I made my way down the hallway and entered the bonus room not only to grab some papers I needed for work, but to also say goodbye to my parents who were exercising. After saying "goodbye" and "see you later", I walked down the stairs.  When I got to the kitchen, I put my bag on the table and went outside to the garage fridge to grab a quick breakfast I could eat on the go, and went back inside. When I got back to the kitchen, I grabbed my bag and with keys in hand I walked out the door. It felt like a normal morning of any other day. 

As I sat in the car about to turn the key in the ignition, I thought, "You know, I'd better check just to make sure I have my phone." So I stopped what I was doing and rummaged through my bag for a few minutes... and my phone was not there. I hurriedly grabbed my keys and rushed to the front door, unlocked it, and yelled up the stairs to Derek who was still in bed. "Derek! Do you see my phone anywhere in the room?" After waiting a few seconds, he replied, "No, I don't see it in here." I then asked if he would go to the bonus room and check on the computer desk. I would have done so myself but my parents just got new carpet throughout the house, and since I not only had shoes on but they were wet from being outside, I chose not to traverse across the soft, clean carpet.

When I heard him say, "I don't see it anywhere in here either, Tay," I decided to heck with keeping my shoes off the carpet. I was going to be late for work if I didn't find my phone in the next few minutes. I ran upstairs and double checked my steps... making sure I was checking every room I might have entered. My dad hopped off the elliptical machine to help us in the search.

Nothing.

By this time, my mom had hopped off of the treadmill to assist in the search, and still... nothing. Eventually, we were all downstairs around the kitchen when my mom asked me a question, "When you grabbed your phone, are you sure you didn't put it in a purse pocket, or..." and I didn't really hear the rest of her question because at that moment, I realized something. My hand reached down to the front left pocket of my dark blue American Eagle jeans. I felt the outside of my pocket and soon recognized the shape of my phone. Sitting there... in my front pocket. I looked at my mom with an expression of, "Oh no..." and she had the same expression, because we had come to the same realization at the same time.

I turned on my heels and headed out the front door, yelling behind me, "Okay, I'm going to go to work!" As I'm leaving, I hear Derek saying in the background, "No way?!?! NO WAY?!?" I shut the front door behind me and ran to my car. As I'm climbing into the front seat to leave, I hear another, "NO WAY?!?!?!" from my adorable husband, and I put the car in reverse, backed out of the drive way, and left.

My front pocket... I cannot believe I did not realize that it was in my front pocket the whole time.
Seriously, that's more than just absentmindedness.

2 comments: