Thursday, March 17, 2011

What I've Got

Things that have been brought to my attention lately have made me think about what I have. 


  1. I have light brown hair.
  2. I have a blue eye.
  3. I have a green eye.
  4. I have size 8 - 8 1/2 feet. (And I have been looking for a pair of taupe colored heels, just in case you were wondering.)
  5. I have ten fingers and ten toes. 
  6. I have two ears.
  7. I have a fake tooth attached to a plastic retainer. 
  8. I have a job.
  9. I have a family.
  10. I have a husband.
There are plenty of things that I have and that list could go on forever. And the majority of people have those things as well.  ...okay, maybe not numbers 2, 3, 4, and 7. It's funny to me that I acknowledge the fact that the list of things I have could go on forever, because my attitude has slowly been turning towards "I have nothing, and I need more." My mood was on a treacherous trail downward. But an opportunity I had the other night to spend time with someone and serve those around us pulled a string and "click!" A light bulb came on.

Gandhi once said: "Service which is rendered without joy helps neither the servant nor the served. But all other pleasures and possessions pale into nothingness before service which is rendered in a spirit of joy."  We need to serve! When we are focused on ourselves and on what we do and do not have, there is no joy to be found. But when we serve in a spirit of joy, then the importance of all of the things you once thought were important fade away until their importance is of no importance to you. Did I use that word enough? 

It's important that we serve one another and take time to focus on the needs of those around us. And boys, you might have to work a little harder at this than us girls because Gandhi also said this: "Man can never be a woman's equal in the spirit of selfless service with which nature has endowed her."

Sorry if that seems rude gentleman, no offense intended. I promise.

This post is really scattered and not very focused... but my point is this: if you're ever feeling awful, go out and serve. When you do that, then you've got everything.

2 comments:

  1. <3 I never thought I would wish for a "like" button quite this much. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, thanks Ashlee! I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete