Friday, March 11, 2011

How to Flip An Egg

This morning I woke up a little earlier than I needed to and got in a quick twenty five minutes on the treadmill before I had to eat a quick breakfast and get ready to go. I walked back to the bedroom to find Derek awake and on his computer. I informed him that I was going downstairs to have breakfast. He asked, "What are you gonna make?" 
"I dunno... I was just gonna have cereal. Do you want me to make something for you?" Derek rarely eats breakfast, so I was excited that he was at least showing interest in the most important meal of the day.
"Nah, I'm okay." 
"I'll make something for you. I really will. What do you want?" 
"Really, I'm okay. I never eat breakfast."
"Okay... but I really will make something for you if you want!" I walked out of the bedroom and headed downstairs get myself some breakfast. 

Not thirty seconds later, Derek was downstairs telling me that he wanted to have an egg and muffin sandwich. So I got out the pan for the egg and plugged in the toaster. He told me to fry the egg, and I said, "Well, how would you do that?"
He looked at me with a blank stare and asked, "What do you mean how do you do that? You cook it, flip it and let it cook on the other side."
"Um... how do you flip an egg?" I asked.

For the next five minutes all I heard was laughter and exclamations of disbelief from my husband that I didn't know how to flip an egg.

I had never flipped an egg before! I always eat my eggs scrambled, thus never needing to ever flip my eggs. I got laughed at a lot this morning, but Derek eventually dragged me over to the stove and made me learn how to flip an egg. His instructions consisted of this:


  1. Just wiggle the spatula under there.
  2. Get it under there really good, move it around.
  3. And then FLIP!
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I flipped an egg.

1 comment: