Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Hunger Games

 I recently finished reading these three books by Suzanne Collins: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay. They were incredible books that depicted the human race after a destructive world war, leaving a small population left to be governed by the Capitol. Katniss Everdeen captures your interest within the first few pages of the book. The ever enduring love she has for her younger sister Prim is her motivation for all of her actions. It is the driving force within her; to protect her sister from the terror and brutality that is their existence. I fell in love with Peeta Mellark in the first book, and stayed that way through the whole series. 

The deep and vibrant characters push her story along and keep the reader rushing to keep up. I could not put the books down and found myself using my spare time to read more. Some might dislike these books due to the "glorifying of violence" that is contained within the plot. However, I do not think she glorifies violence in any way. She shows that is a necessary part of surviving in their world and then shows the deep and enduring after-effects. 

My personal opinion? These books are captivating and I hope with all the hope I can muster right now that the movies will do them justice. 

I love these books.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE these books too!!! but....i heard the movie is gonna be rated R! i'm not sure if its a rumor or what, but thats what i've heard. sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! That sucks... if it's rated R it's probably because of all the violence. Dang! But, I am still looking forward to seeing who is gonna play Peeta :) Haha

    ReplyDelete