Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Remember

I remember when I was able to watch my sister board her plane and then stand with my face pressed to the window as it took off.
I remember when I ignorantly believed that terrorists were a thing of the past.
I remember when our country felt secure.
I remember when I wondered what a national crisis would be like.
I also remember the morning of September 11, 2001.

Ten years ago today I woke up to a quiet house. That was not the norm. Usually I could hear the sound of the treadmill or the bowflex in the room down the hall as my mom did her daily workout. However, that morning I could hear my heart pumping. I climbed out of bed rubbing my eyes and stumbled my way down the hallway to my mom's room. I saw her sitting up in bed with her knees drawn to her chest and her eyes glued to the TV. She saw me come into her room and I climbed onto her bed and snuggled up to her. I watched the live coverage of the first tower burning, and then saw on TV as the second plane crashed into the second tower. My mom called my dad at work and talked to him. I don't really remember their conversation very well, but when my mom hung up the phone I remember her saying something about World War III.

She told me to get ready for school, so I quietly obeyed. When I was downstairs eating breakfast my mom explained to me what happened that morning. I was only 11 years old. Not old enough to completely comprehend the weight of what just happened.
When I got to school my teacher was quiet. All the students were whispering to each other. The day went on as normal at my small elementary school in Graham. 

Ten years later, I am 21 years old.  I'm married to my best friend. I go to school at Brigham Young University-Idaho studying Exercise Physiology. 

I can no longer watch my sister board her plane or press my face against the glass as it takes off.
I no longer ignorantly believe that terrorists are a thing of the past.
I know what a national crisis feels like.
And I will always remember September 11, 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment