Yes, that's right. I counted how many days have passed since Reece was born. And although it is a relatively short amount, I feel like I have come to learn and realize a lot. Some of the things have made me laugh. Others have made me want to cry, pull my hair out, repeatedly bang my head against the wall, or all of the above. So, I figured I would share.
Number 1: I will never "sleep in" again.
I gave birth to an alarm clock with no snooze button. Once Reece is awake, she is awake for at least an hour and a half, and that's on the days where she decides she wants a morning nap. I'm lucky anymore if I get to sleep past seven.
Number 2: I will never get to simply fix my hair in the morning and have it stay.
I will have to constantly redo it throughout the day. If I want to have socially acceptable hair then it will require constant maintenance. Because with ten little fingers and ten little toes constantly kicking, grabbing, and pulling at my hair I have no choice! It's either that or totally give up and live with pony tails and pitiful looks from strangers at the grocery store.
Number 3: I have never wanted "me time" more before in my life.
I am no longer just a wife. I am now a wife, mother, 24-hour restaurant, diaper changing fiend, spit-up catcher, and entertainer. I could go on and on, but I think all of you have a pretty good idea of what comes with being a stay-at-home mom. While I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world (seriously, I love it), there are moments where I smell like puke, my hair is a mess, I'm pretty sure I have spit up down my shirt, and my back hurts. It's in those moments where I would give a million dollars to be able to go to a spa for a day. If not for anything else, to hopefully get rid of the permanent poop scent that I always seem to smell.
Number 4: I'm three years old again.
I have nap times every day. I should really be more productive during the times when Reece is napping, but all I really want to do is lay down and sleep. If I don't get my sleep, I'm like a three year old who is over-tired. Grumpy, whiny, cries a lot, and stubborn beyond belief. I don't think that's fair to Reece or Derek. So I take my naps every day. For their sake, of course.
Number 5: My vocabulary is shrinking.
I now consider words like, "icky", "silly", "cutie", and "yucky" to be perfectly normal, mature conversational terms. I have a feeling that this condition will only worsen as time goes on and as more children arrive. I should probably see a medical professional about this. Or any adult, really. Just social time with someone older than five would probably work.
Number 6: I am no longer a grocery store judger.
Yes, I admit it. I used to look at those women in the grocery store who are frustrated, tired, grumpy, and impatient with their children and think, "Really? Pull it together, woman! You can do better than that!" To all of those women out there who have been victims of my grocery store judging days, I sincerely apologize. I know your pain, and I only have one. And she's only 5 months old. So, maybe I don't know your pain, but I've heard from other moms that it's pretty bad sometimes. So, I'm sorry.
Number 7: I have no chance of being selfish. Ever.
This is a pretty cool thing. Since I've had Reece, my thoughts are always about her, first and foremost. I consider her first and do the things that would be best for her. So what does that mean? I am much less likely to make a selfish decision because I love that little drooling, puking, farting, pooping, loving little pea. Except for those moments that will inevitably happen in the future where I hide while I eat my cookie, candy bar, etc., simply because I don't want to share.
Number 8: Motherhood is the most amazing thing.
'Nuff said.

Oh how I love this post! It is all too true, and I love hearing it from you! Motherhood is indeed ALL of those things, but mostly wonderful. :)
ReplyDelete