Monday, November 12, 2012

Forever is for This

As I was standing in the freezing cold, all I could think about was getting inside to where it was warm. We were outside the stake center right next to the Boise Temple, waiting for there to be room for us in a classroom to watch the video. Derek was holding Reece and making sure her blanket stayed wrapped around her nice and tight to keep her warm.


I was looking forward to touring the temple. Extensive renovations had just been completed, and Derek's grandma (who works in the temple and had been inside already) had been telling us about how beautiful it is. I knew that I would enjoy seeing all the new furnishings and paintings, but I don't think I totally understood how much I would take from our tour.

After we got inside to watch the video, we then again had to wait in another line outside the temple. In order to help keep the carpets clean, everyone has to put plastic booties over their shoes. And apparently, this was what was holding everyone up and was the cause of the line.

What you see when you walk through the front doors
of the temple.
When we finally got to get our plastic booties and walk inside, the warmth was heavenly. It felt so nice to be in a warm place after spending so much time in the cold. Once I got over how cold I had been and how warm I was then, I was able to focus on other things I was feeling. The awe was overwhelming as I took in the scene around me. The dark mahogany and beautiful chandeliers were breathtaking.

Our group started walking through the temple. The first room we went through was the separate chapel just for those going to the temple to perform baptisms, and then we continued on to the font. By the time we got to the font, I was amazed at all of the stained glass in the temple. It was all so intricate and detailed. The window behind the baptismal font is stained glass, and it depicts the Tree of Life.

As we continued walking through the temple, the beauty continued right along with it. Everything was perfect. The carpets, the paintings, the lights, the fixtures, the chairs... I could go on and on.

Our tour was a silent tour. So not only were we able to take in the beauty of the temple but the quiet around us made it much easier to tune in to how we were feeling. I was able to tear my eyes away from what was around me, and I looked ahead of me to see my wonderful husband holding our sweet baby girl just as we were passing one of the sealing rooms. It made me think about the day that Derek and I were in a similar room getting married for all eternity in the Seattle Temple almost two years ago. It was one of the best days of my life. My heart swelled with gratitude for temples, for the sealing power that makes it possible to unite husbands and wives for forever here on Earth, and have it hold true in heaven.

We then passed by some ordinance rooms, and continued on to the Celestial Room. As we walked through the Celestial Room, I took a moment to just think. I looked at Derek and Reece, and I could feel so strongly the love that my Heavenly Father has for me. The room was breathtakingly beautiful, and the place that it represents brings such joy and hope to my heart.

My eyes got a little teary as I took all of this in, and instantly wanted nothing more than to be with my family forever. If you think about it, forever is a beautiful thing. It is a promise that you will never have to let go of the things that you love. You will never have to truly leave your loved ones. For me, forever is a reality. I can have my husband with me for all of eternity.

We finished the tour, took our booties off, and headed back to the stake center to write down how we enjoyed our tour on a comment card. After we were done, we got in the car and buckled Reece in. As we were driving away, I was looking at some pictures on Derek's phone that we got of Derek, me, and Reece outside the temple, and I came to a conclusion.

Forever is for this. For families. For my family.


1 comment: