Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11th

This day comes around each year. 

Summer has just ended, school has just started, and fall is settling into the air. Life is beginning to run on a schedule and be crazy once more. And then comes September 11th. A day that everyone will remember. However, I feel as if there are those who don't give it more than a quick thought in the morning, "Oh yeah, it's September 11th," and then move on.

I was not personally affected by the attacks. I didn't lose a family member or loved one on that day, and I don't live in Manhattan, Pennsylvania, or Virginia. I live on the other side of the country. But I will always remember that morning when I walked into my mom's room, and saw her curled up in bed, eyes glued to the TV, and talking to my dad on the phone. I turned my attention to the TV and saw the first tower with a huge billow of smoke coming out of it. I sat on the bed next to my mom and watched as the next plane crashed into the second tower. 

Nearly 3,000 people died that day. Millions of people lost loved ones. The sadness and heartache that this day brings for them is unimaginable. As I am about to become a mother to a sweet little girl, the reality and the fear of losing her or Derek is truly starting to sink in. It's something that puts a giant pit in my stomach. While I still have both of them, I can start to understand a small portion of what those people feel when they think of how unjustly and suddenly their loved ones were taken from them.

So I hope that today, everyone can remember what happened. I'm sure we all know what happened. But take a few minutes and remember those people, those families, that suffered and are still suffering due to their loss on that day. Say a silent prayer in your heart for them. 

After all, September 11th comes around every year.

"I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. . . .
"My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
John 14:18, 27

No comments:

Post a Comment