Friday, August 3, 2012

For the First Time

Alright. I know it's 6:07 AM and that usually I am still asleep. However, this morning has brought about something new. Something that has happened for the first time.

I DIDN'T FALL BACK TO SLEEP.

Okay. So some of you might not understand how incredibly dramatic this is. Ever since I was little, I have slept like a rock. I could fall asleep anywhere, sleep through anything, and go back to sleep in seconds after being woken up. 

For example...

Minutes after buckling into my seat in the family van to go on vacation in the summertime, I am asleep. And will most likely be asleep for the entire drive. Doesn't matter if my seat reclines or not. I will be out. This is still true today for any road trips Derek and I take. He can attest to that.

When I was around five or six I shared a room with Abbie. We had bunk beds. I slept on the top because I was the obnoxious little sister who wouldn't give up on the top bunk, and eventually my incredibly sweet and patient older sister gave in. One evening, I woke up in the middle of the night to my parents and Abbie staring down at me. I was confused. And then I realized that I was on the floor.
Yup.
I rolled off the top bunk while sleeping, hit the floor with a loud "THUD" that woke my parents and sister, and I slept through it. 

I am famous for (and Morgan is too) falling asleep downstairs, and then upon being woken up to get upstairs and climb in bed, I'm stubborn and angry and do not want to move. If somehow my family convinces me to get up and go to bed, I have no recollection of how I got to my bed the next morning.

My mom bought me an alarm clock. When I continually got out of my bed, walked across my room, shut it off, climbed back in bed and went to sleep without any recollection of it when I woke up incredibly late, she bought me another one. This one said, "Extra Loud!" in giant letters on the front. Trust me, it is incredibly obnoxious.

Did I still cross my room, shut it off, and go back to bed without any recollection when I truly woke up? Yep.

Sleep has never been a problem for me. Until now.

I am three weeks (just three weeks) into my third trimester, and already all of the sleeping woes that soon-to-be-moms have mourned about are in full swing. 
I don't fall asleep as easily due to the increasing size of my belly. And it is made much more difficult due to the high activity level of our little girl. The other night I was in bed at 11:00pm and didn't fall asleep until after 4:00am. 

It's become a problem.

So this morning I woke up at 5:00am for a lovely visit to the bathroom, and upon returning to bed I could not fall back to sleep. Thus, I am awake and writing this blog while Derek peacefully slumbers away next to me. 

The worst part about waking up this early and not being able to go back to sleep is that now I'm hungry. Good thing we have Captain Crunch.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh I LOVE reading your blogs! You are such a captivating writer! ANYWAYS. That being said... hang in there:) Just think of how many more things you will get done instead of sleeeping!

    ReplyDelete