Thursday, February 16, 2012

Valentine's Day: I Ruined It!


So... Valentine's Day. Leading up to this holiday, I would ask Derek what we were going to do, what he wanted for dinner, dessert, etc. He always gave very vague answers until a couple days before, when I made it obvious that I needed to know so that I could prepare, he said, "I'm taking care of it. It's a surprise."

I was excited! I love surprises. On the day of, I went to work and was only able to do about an hour of work. I called Derek on my way out of the shop, and told him I was coming home. I could tell by the tone of his voice that I was obviously ruining some of his plans. I felt bad, but what was I supposed to do? Stay at work and do nothing for three more hours? So I tried to take my time on my drive home. 

When I walked in the front door, Derek was in the kitchen. I did my best not to look, grabbed the cardstock, glue stick, scissors, pens, and markers that I would need to make Derek's Valentine's Day card and headed upstairs. 

While making his card, Derek knocked on the door and asked me if I would like to come downstairs. When I got to the last few stairs I saw the kitchen table covered in a very cute red and white checked table cloth. There were three place settings on the table, and these pink menus.
I sat down in my chair and Derek came up next to me asking what I would like to have for my dinner. I'm not sure if you can read the menu, so I'll tell you what it says. 

For an appetizer, I had a choice of:
Sushi ... $100
Caviar ... $200
Potato & Bacon Soup ... On the House

For an entree, I could choose:
Tuna fish ... $125
Beans ... $110
Steak Salad ... Free of Charge

And for dessert I had the options:
Onions ... $10
Ice ... $5
Sherbet & Wafers ... My Treat!

My choices were obviously already made for me. I smiled, laughed, and told the kind waiter (Derek) with the towel slung over his arm that I would like the soup, salad, and sherbet for my meal.

We ate dinner with my little sister. The soup was delicious and the salad was scrumptious. After dinner was done I helped Derek clean up and then we watched "Just Go With It." That movie makes Derek and I laugh so hard. 

When my parents got home we had a second dessert of chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream. 

Overall, Valentine's Day was wonderful. But I ruined Derek's surprise! He wanted to surprise me with this perfect dinner and table setting, and I walked in right in the middle of his preparations. He told me that it didn't matter that I ruined it... but I still felt bad.

Derek is my favorite person in the entire world! He's the best guy out there, and I'm sure glad he's mine.




1 comment:

  1. How is that ruining anything?? You still had no idea what he was doing and it went over well! It sounds like your Valentine's Day was fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete