Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Derek's New Goal

The other night as I climbed into bed and Derek was in the bathroom brushing his teeth, I reached over and grabbed his laptop to browse the internet. However, when I opened it up I saw a Word Document that was titled, "Goals 2012." My husband is so great.

When he got back he started working on writing down those goals. I was happy to see most of the ones he was writing down, and more than happy to help support him and encourage him to achieve them. However, when he wrote this one, I wanted to cry.
"Be up every morning by 6:30 am." 
Me - "What?!"
Derek - "What?"
Me - "Seriously? You want to be up every day by 6:30? Honey, we don't have any kids. Why would we get up at that time?"
Derek - "Because I feel lazy if I stay in bed any longer."
Me - "But... there are so many other things we could be doing! Like sleeping!"
Derek - "Taylor. I'm getting up at 6:30."
 Me (as I'm rolling over to go to sleep) - "You could at least make it 7:00..."

The next morning I feel Derek shaking my shoulder telling me it's time to wake up. I looked over at my clock and saw it telling me that it was 7:00 am. I looked at Derek and he said, "I changed it." I love that man.

And, I have to admit, it was really difficult for me to give up my precious hour of sleep between 7:00 and 8:00 am, but getting up this early has been improving my days. It gives me a sense of having a lot of time before I go to work, and it helps me eat breakfast and workout at a reasonable time. Plus! If I have to sign up for a 9:00 am class this next semester, my wake up time won't be so hard to adjust to after being out of school for a semester.

So I am now someone who rises at 7:00 am every morning, on the dot thanks to Derek's new goal.

2 comments: