Monday, February 20, 2012

7 & 1/2 Weeks

I dropped Derek off at the airport this morning. 
Yup, he's on his way to Arizona.

We just did the whole drop-off-at-the-curb deal. Shorter goodbye, and less time for me to make myself miserable and humiliate myself publicly by crying all over the place.

He parked the car, we got out, he got his luggage, and I gave him a big hug and a kiss. Then before the waterworks really started I hurried to the door, hopped in the car, and ideally would have sped away.

However, being that my husband is a foot taller than me, I had to wait ten seconds for the seat to scoot forward so that I could reach the pedals. 

Then I sped away.

I cried like a ninny. 
Every time I started to feel the tears coming I pressed on the gas. It wasn't a conscious move, but it always happened. Almost like I thought that if I drove really fast (whoo, 75 mph) I wouldn't cry.
Lies.
It was a good thing that I was distracted with driving home from the airport for the first time ever. But the drive was so easy, that once I got on 167 my mind was no longer distracted. 
All I had to do was think about the fact that Derek is going to be gone for almost eight weeks and I would start to cry. 

I made it home really fast. It was 6:30 am when we got to the airport, and I pulled into my parent's driveway at 7:00am. I sat in the car for a few more minutes, trying to gather my composure. 
Then I went inside, grabbed a blanket, turned on my mom's heater, and took a nap.

Derek's flight should land in Phoenix at 2:45 pm. He starts his internship tomorrow. I'm nervous and excited for him! 

And for now, I'll be counting the weeks. In more ways than one.

2 comments:

  1. Not gonna lie.... When I first saw the title of this post I thought you were going to announce you were 7 1/2 weeks pregnant. Lol But ten I read it and remembered Dereck was going away. But then the last sentence.... Counting the weeks in more than one way threw me off again. Lol Maybe my hormones are making me read into everything too much. Lol Sorry you have to be apart though. It's no fun at all!!! But it's for a good thing and you know it's only temporary. Hope the time goes fast for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, oh Whitney. Maybe your hormones are overreacting. That last sentence is there because I have more than one exciting deadline to look forward to. Not only do I have Derek coming home, but I'm so excited for another day in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete