One year ago Derek and I were married in the Seattle, WA LDS temple. I was nervous, upset that I had a cold which was making my nose run nonstop, but I felt more excited than I had ever been before.
I was holding my composure together perfectly until I looked across at Derek and saw his bottom lip trembling and his eyes full of tears. In my mind I was scolding him, "You better suck it up Derek or else I'm gonna lose it!" But at the same time I was thinking about how cute he looked and how sweet it was that he was having to hold back tears.
After the temple ceremony, everything else went smoothly and perfectly. I don't think there was one hiccup throughout the day. However, I was the bride and floated on Cloud 9 for the rest of the day, so I acknowledge the definite possibility that I missed something. As Derek and I were driving away from our reception, he looked at me and asked if I would have changed anything about the day if I could have. I was able to honestly reply that I wouldn't change a thing.
All of these thoughts were running through my mind as I was sitting in the Las Vegas airport on the morning of our anniversary waiting for my flight to Oakland which would then take me to Seattle. I had been in St. George, UT the past few days for my best friend's wedding. It had been a wonderful trip, but I was ready to see Derek! I got off the plane in Seattle and walked outside, got in the car, and gave Derek a big smoocheroo.
We rode the ferry over to Gig Harber and stayed in the Wesley Inn. After checking in at the hotel, we went out to dinner at the Green House, stopped by Safeway to pick up some dessert, and headed back to celebrate our anniversary, eat dessert, and watch the Chopped marathon on TV. When we got back to the hotel, I opened the door and Derek had my gifts laid out on the table. He gave me a beautiful pair of earrings and a necklace. I love them. My gift to him was supposed to be given to him on our anniversary... but I forgot it was for our anniversary and gave it to him on Christmas. Oh well, he loves it just as much.
In the past year of being married I think we have learned a lot about each other.
1. I do not like to go much longer than an hour without any verbal communication from Derek. He feels that hours without verbal communication is just fine.
2. Derek loves to laugh... at anything. Especially at me when I make a mindless mistake or run into a stationary object. I have been getting better at just laughing at myself.
3. Derek is very good at making dinner on Sundays. I don't think I ever said anything about it to him, he just started and now it is something that I really appreciate.
4. Derek has learned that if I have the time, I like to take a while getting ready. He does not understand why I take longer if I can get ready in a shorter amount of time. He probably won't ever understand.
In the past year of being married I think we have learned a lot about each other.
1. I do not like to go much longer than an hour without any verbal communication from Derek. He feels that hours without verbal communication is just fine.
2. Derek loves to laugh... at anything. Especially at me when I make a mindless mistake or run into a stationary object. I have been getting better at just laughing at myself.
3. Derek is very good at making dinner on Sundays. I don't think I ever said anything about it to him, he just started and now it is something that I really appreciate.
4. Derek has learned that if I have the time, I like to take a while getting ready. He does not understand why I take longer if I can get ready in a shorter amount of time. He probably won't ever understand.
Here is a bit of our reception last year that the majority of our guests (outside of my family and some of Derek's family) didn't know was going to happen. I surprised Derek with a song.
To watch the video, click here.
I have loved being married! And since this has only been the first year, and I very excited to be married to Derek for many more years to come.
I have loved being married! And since this has only been the first year, and I very excited to be married to Derek for many more years to come.

No comments:
Post a Comment