Saturday, December 17, 2011

Look Upward

My favorite book is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. The first copy of the book that I ever owned was given to me by my mom on my ninth birthday. I tried multiple times within that next year to get past chapter three, but struggled to continue. I was only nine years old trying to understand Jane Eyre. I mean, come on! Give me a break. At 11 years old I decided to finally sit down and read this book. Once I got to chapter six I was involved in the story. I loved Jane and was able to relate to her in a lot of ways, and found the romance written into the plot so real. 

When I finished the book, I closed it feeling sad that the story wasn't going to continue for the rest of my life. But I have re-read Jane Eyre multiple times, and I never tire of it. As long as there is at least a few months in between readings. 

As I was cleaning out our second bedroom today, I found a box of notebooks that I have saved to use as a future journal once I fill my current ones. One of them was given to me by my roommates D'Anne and Sarah when my grandmother died a year ago this last October. It is a notebook filled with quotes from authors, politicians, church leaders, historical figures, and scripture. I was flipping through the book reading the quotes, and when I saw that there was one by Charlotte Bronte, I already knew I was going to love it. It says, 


This made me think about how, during this entire moving process, I have been so focused on what we will be doing in the future. What we have been doing the past eight months. And what we will be doing this winter to help us prepare for coming back to Rexburg. It makes me a little distressed to think about the fact that Derek and I still have another two years left in school. I just want to be done with it and move on to the next phase of our lives where we have our home, with walls we can paint, carpet we can pick, and a backyard. I am always eager to look forward and anticipate what is coming next. But, I need to remember to continually look up, full of faith and trust, that the Lord knows what is best for me. 

In the October 2011 General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Elder Carl B. Cook gave a talk entitled, "It Is Better to Look Up". He shared this story: 
At the end of a particularly tiring day toward the end of my first week as a General Authority, my briefcase was overloaded and my mind was preoccupied with the question “How can I possibly do this?” I left the office of the Seventy and entered the elevator of the Church Administration Building. As the elevator descended, my head was down and I stared blankly at the floor.
The door opened and someone entered, but I didn’t look up. As the door closed, I heard someone ask, “What are you looking at down there?” I recognized that voice—it was President Thomas S. Monson.
I quickly looked up and responded, “Oh, nothing.” (I’m sure that clever response inspired confidence in my abilities!)
But he had seen my subdued countenance and my heavy briefcase. He smiled and lovingly suggested, while pointing heavenward, “It is better to look up!” As we traveled down one more level, he cheerfully explained that he was on his way to the temple. When he bid me farewell, his parting glance spoke again to my heart, “Now, remember, it is better to look up.”

In the book of Mosiah in the Book of Mormon, we read: "9 Believe in God; believe that he is, …believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend."

I need to remember that the Lord will take care of me if I am faithful, keep His commandments, and trust in Him. If I just do my best to try and follow His will, then I won't need to look forward to be able to see the things I might trip over or stumble with in life. By looking up, I will see more that is ahead of me than I ever could by looking forward. 

So in my personal opinion, Charlotte Bronte was a very inspired woman with good words to share. This quote is one that will definitely be on the wall of my future home. 

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! I'm in sorta the same situation as you....with weston going to school for probably 5-6 more years!!! It gets overwhelming to think of. But i love this quote! I need to just put my trust in the Lord and everything will be just fine! Sad you guys wont be in Rexburg when we get there but glad you're coming back (:

    ReplyDelete