I had a wonderful experience today. I was able to sing a song in the BYU-I Center for the Education Week Devotional. I was in an ensemble of eight girls from my Stake, and we sang a beautiful arrangement of "Draw Near Unto Me." It was incredible to sing in that incredible auditorium, and to hear our voices ring through the sound system. As soon as we were done, I thought about the first time I sang in front of a large audience.
I was 14 years old. As the lead alto saxophone in my Junior High's Jazz Band, my director was shocked to hear me singing one day after school. The next week he had picked up a vocal chart, "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" and I was going to be featured at our last concert. Secretly I was excited. Mostly, I was nervous. I had never sung in front of more people than my family, and even in front of them I was still shy. But, through the many rehearsals at school I grew a little more comfortable.
The night of the performance drew near and I was constantly singing the song. Before I was ready for it, the concert came up. The jazz band had played their first two numbers, and my name was called.
As I sang the last note and the song ended, I was greeted with a standing ovation.
I had faced one of my biggest fears: singing in front of a big audience. It ended beautifully, and I was able to turn a fear into a strength.
Now I sing every chance I get. I love music, and I love to share that with people through my voice. All of these thoughts rushed through my head as I was sitting on the stage of the I-Center. Then, President Clark got up to speak.
His talk was wonderful. Filled with encouraging words, helping everyone to find peace in their lives through our Savior Jesus Christ. While his main message was perfectly delivered, there was one sentence that stuck with me: Never take counsel from your fears.
He said it once, and did not expound upon it. But it rang true in my heart. Our fears are things that are weaknesses. They are things that will hold us back and keep us from achieving the potential that lies within every one of us. So why would we take counsel from them? The only counsel or advice we would get from our fears are words of discouragement. They would encourage us not to progress, and discourage us from pushing through and becoming stronger. If we take counsel from our fears our lives will be filled with uncertainty, sadness, and dissatisfaction.
When I faced a fear (well, was forced to face a fear) I came out stronger because of it. Being able to sing in front of an audience has brought me much happiness, and has helped me to improve upon one of the talents the Lord has blessed me with. When each of us face our fears and push through them, we will come out stronger. But there is one thing that we must always remember: never to take counsel from our fears.

Love it. Totally putting that quote on my wall
ReplyDelete