At every Fred Meyer, Safeway, Target, Wal Mart, and Costco across the nation I’m sure hundreds, thousands, maybe even millions of people were lined up with some kind of flower, candy, or gift in their hands. A gift to give to their valentine, the one person in their life that they are devoted to and love with all their heart. With the nerves, excitement, and maybe anxiety at presenting these gifts, the air seems to buzz.
I’m sure that there were hundreds and maybe thousands of men that felt like their pocket weighed 100 pounds with that engagement ring sitting in there. Their palms could be sweaty, or maybe they’re dizzy, or maybe they cannot help but tap the table repeatedly waiting for their sweetheart to show up for the romantic and home cooked dinner they’ve prepared. And everything seems like a rush, until that moment he finally pulls out the ring and asks her to be his valentine every February 14th for the rest of their lives.And then I’m sure there are those who had to get up early and go to work. They anxiously watch the clock tick the minutes away until they can go home. They feel like Valentine’s Day is a waste, and that nothing exciting or special is going to happen. I was one of those lucky people who went to work yesterday, but I had a wonderful evening. Upon coming home, I hugged my husband and went upstairs to put my bag away and clean up a few things that I had left in a mess that morning. When I opened the door, I saw the curtains moving slightly in the wind, a clean bedroom, and red rose petals scattered all over the white comforter on the bed. With a single long-stemmed red rose, a Dove chocolate rose, a red candle, and a home made valentine, I was happily surprised. I read the card, smelled the candle, smelled the rose, and ran back down the stairs and almost knocked Derek out of the chair when I practically tackled him with a hug.
“Thank you!! I love it. It’s perfect. I love you Derek.”
“I love you too, Tay.”
We had plans to go out to dinner with my parents and Morgan to Stanley & Seafort’s and we were leaving at 4:15 pm. So at 3:15 pm I headed upstairs to get ready to go. But before the hair curling and make-up applying process began, I pulled a bundle wrapped in my favorite blanket out from under my bed. I opened it and pulled out a can of Pringles, an eight pack of Mountain Dew, and some Orbit gum. I placed them nicely on Derek’s side of the bed and pulled out the card.
Around 4:00 when Derek came upstairs to get ready, I was brushing my teeth. He came into the bathroom and gave me a hug and said, “Thanks for the valentine.” With my mouth full of foamy toothpaste I somehow enunciated, “You’re welcome.”
For some people, the affection shown and gifts given on Valentine’s Day seem to have tinted motives. The day itself brings with it the expectation of flowers, chocolate, and gifts. It brings with it a sense of obligation to show the one you love just how much you love them. And some people might find this unnecessary. Why do we need a specified day to give a gift? Or leave a sweet and romantic surprise? Why do we need February 14th to show our love? Well, in my opinion, we don’t need Valentine’s Day to do all those things. Every day you should feel the need and the desire to express your love and appreciation for your sweetheart. For their kindness and all they do for you. For those times when they wake up early to go to work and don’t come home until 10:00 pm. Or for all the times you’ve left for work while they’re still sleeping and come home to find the bed neatly made and all the mess picked up. Now, I’m not saying that holiday is a bad thing, I think it’s great! It is a fun reason to go a bit more out of your way and do something extra special for your sweetheart. But I don’t think there is a reason why we can’t express our love every day.
We went out to dinner, came home and made dessert and played a game. It was a wonderful Valentine’s Day. After an episode of the Cosby show, and two episodes of Psych, we all decided it was time for bed. So after my teeth were brushed and my face was washed, I climbed into bed and snuggled up to Derek. Before I fell asleep, I give him a kiss on his cheek.
“I love you Derek.”
“I love you too, Tay.”
I TOTALLY agree about Valentine's Day. I was trying to explain this to Denson the other day and I think he now understands the reason I like it. It's a cool day and it can mean something without being cliche. Love you guys. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet husband! I love Valentine's Day.
ReplyDelete