Monday, September 27, 2010

And What Part of "Off Limits" Do You NOT Understand???

It's the first day of chemistry and our professor asks us to stand up, introduce ourselves, our hometown, our major, and one interesting thing that happened to us over the break. When it came my turn to do this for the third time that day, I said, "Hi! I'm Taylor Thetford and I am from Puyallup, WA... it's near Seattle. My major is Exercise Physiology, and I got engaged over the break!" "Oh fun! When are you getting married?" Brother Rawlinson asked. "December," I replied. He then asked what day, and I replied that we were getting married on the 28th. My point is... we discussed the fact that I was engaged to be married. We thoroughly discussed that I'M ENGAGED.


Skip forward one week as my chemistry class is walking out of the lab. A young man approaches me as I'm making my way down the stairs in the Romney and asks, "Are you the engaged one?" "Yes," I replied. "Well I can see why!" he said.  "...thanks?" I replied, a little uncomfortable with the remark but figured he was just being nice and took it as a compliment. I told Derek about it. "Tay, he was flirting with you." I tried to deny it, but deep down I knew it was true.

Okay, now skip to today. During class, my friend Rebekah leans over and shows me her phone. It's a text message from the third member of our lab group. It says, "This guy that's sitting next to me will not stop talking about your engaged friend. He's going to go up and ask her how serious it is."  ...Um, excuse me? Did I read that right? He's going to come up to me, an engaged and completely committed girl, how serious my engagement is?

WHO DOES THAT?!  I mean, come on! What part of "I'm engaged and thus completely in love with fiance." Saying yes to marrying somebody isn't just "Oh sure, let's give it a shot!" You're committing your life and the rest of FOREVER to spend with them. 
FOREVER... FORREEVVVEERRRR!!!!

And he wants to know how serious it is. This is one instance when I will not hold back Derek from giving this guy a good "punch to the face, or a pile drive to the face" if he ever asks me that.


And now just something light hearted and somewhat related to my post. 


2 comments:

  1. What an IDIOT. I mean, yes, some people have success asking such questions of engaged people. Then again, would you really want to date someone who ditched their fiance for the hottie in Chemistry class? Probably not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously. And Abbie and I were talking about it, and maybe that question would be acceptable from an old friend or someone you've known for a long time... but not from some random person. Haha, stupid stupid stupid.

    ReplyDelete