Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Immediately

Derek and I read the scriptures together every night. We recently started reading the New Testament, starting in Matthew. Tonight as we were reading, we came across the story where Peter walks on water to go out and meet Jesus. While I have heard this story more times than I can count, something about it struck me differently tonight than it had before.

26 And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.
27 But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.
28 And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.
29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.
(St. Matthew 14:27-29,King James Version)

Everyone will emphasize the amazing faith that Peter acted upon in that moment. Not only did he have the faith that Christ would make it possible for him to walk on water, but he had enough faith to act upon it and step out of the boat. When I try and put myself in Peter's shoes, I can't imagine the faith it took to step out into the stormy sea.

Most of us don't have such drastic experiences when we act on our faith. Our daily lives provide much more "normal" opportunities for us to trust in the Lord. For some, it may be that you have the faith to make it through another day of work. For others it may be that you have the faith that you will receive the help you need to finally get work. And for me, it is often the faith that I will make it through another day with my crazy, adventurous, getting-into-everything, beautiful little girl. That I'll have the patience I need to help her learn and that I'll be able to act and speak in a way so that she never doubts the love I have for her. I have a framed tile in my home that says, "Help me, Lord, to remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that you and I cannot handle together." That is one of my favorite quotes. I love it. It lifts me up and bolsters my faith each day as I read it over for the millionth time.

30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
(St. Matthew 14:30, King James Version)

But then, the wind picks up. The waves get bigger. And life gets more difficult. Your boss tells you that the project you have been slaving over for the past year and half is now cancelled, so all your hard work, stress, and time has been for nothing. You finally heard about the job interview that you felt really good about, and they're going to "keep you in mind for future openings." Your daughter tipped over a glass of milk and it spilled all over your recipe book and computer. It could be a number of things that make you feel like you are beginning to sink. For a moment, our faith falters. We feel desperation setting in and we no longer feel the confidence we felt before. But we have to do what Peter does, when we feel our faith begin to crumble. We have to pick up enough pieces so that we are able to cry out to the Lord for help.


31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O ye of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?
(St. Matthew 14:31, King James Version)

Immediately. That is what struck me differently than before. Jesus didn't wait a second longer than he had to. As soon as Peter asked for help, Jesus "stretched forth his hand". And it is the same for us. As soon as we take those few minutes to say a silent prayer, or get down on our knees and ask for help, we will receive it. Our answer won't come in the form of all of our stresses and worries magically disappearing. But Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ will simply take us by the hand, and help lift us up so that we are better able to handle it. Christ didn't make the level of the sea water decrease so that Peter was once again standing on the top. He took his hand, and lifted him up. He lifted him up immediately after he asked. We aren't going to get a phone call two seconds after we say "amen" from someone offering us a raise, or offering us the perfect job we've been waiting for. And we won't see the spilled milk magically get cleaned up. But what we will most likely feel is an overwhelming sense of peace and love. We will be comforted. Because our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are there, waiting for that moment when they can immediately lend the help we are desperately in need of.

I think that in my life I need to live more true to this example. I need to be more willing to immediately give. Sometimes, when I know that I'm right about something and Derek doesn't agree, I won't help him right away when he asks. I'll smartly say, "Well, you said I was wrong, so obviously you don't need my help." Typical, smart-alec Taylor move right there, folks. I wait until he gets frustrated and mad so that I feel like my "point" will sink in better when I do go over and help him. How ridiculous is that?! I would smack my former self if I could. But, I can't. What I can do is not let him get frustrated and mad. Give him the help he asks for when he asks for it. Maybe even before! Christ didn't wait for Peter to be on the brink of drowning before he saved him. He picked him up right away, the moment he asked. And He does the same for us. He doesn't want to let us sink into the depths of despair or bitterness without stretching forth His hand to help. We just have to have the faith to ask Him.

So, no matter the crisis or mini-catastrophe, if you feel like the never ending sea of life's adventures is starting to overwhelm you, ask for help. Gather what faith you have left in the tank for the day, and just ask. I know that you will receive it. I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love us and are anxiously waiting to help us. It doesn't even matter if it's something you think is silly. Even if you're a new mom with a lot on your plate and you feel inadequate because your little monster keeps destroying the case to Thor. (I'd be surprised if it makes it through another 24 hours.) If you sincerely need help, just ask. You will receive it. Immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment