Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Baby News

I had an appointment today to accomplish two things:

1. Take my glucose test.
2. Check on my placenta.

At 2:30 I drank my orange drink. The flavor wasn't bad, but the after taste KILLED ME. It left my mouth feeling all... nasty. But it didn't make me vomit or anything, so that's a good sign. When I got to the doctor's office, it was my doctor's birthday, so they were handing out cake. I sadly had to turn a piece down because I still had yet to have my blood drawn. So they rushed me to the back, pricked my finger, and then gave me cake. 

My glucose level was at 121, which is great because they want you to be under 140. Three cheers for no gestational diabetes! My hemoglobin count was right where it should be as well, so I'm not anemic either.

Then they brought Derek and I into the ultrasound room, and we got to see our sweet little girl! They looked at her heart, double-checked the gender (definitely still a girl), and looked at my placenta. At my 19 week ultrasound, they noticed that my placenta was incredibly close to my cervix. This is a little concerning considering that when the baby is born, it has to pass through the cervix. So, they didn't act like it was a huge deal at 19 weeks, because usually the placenta moves away from the cervix as the pregnancy progresses. Which is exactly what mine did! It has moved away and is not going to cause problems.

And we got some more pictures of our little pea, so I'll share her two profile shots. She actually kept quite still and let the ultrasound tech get a good picture! 




It's still crazy to me that there is this little person inside of me. It doesn't feel 100% real. I'm sure that it will take until I am laying exhausted in the hospital bed holding this baby girl for me to realize, "It's real. I have a baby. And this is her."

We can't wait!

3 comments: