I enjoy being creative. I really do! And sewing blankets for friends or new babies in my family is one way in which I feel creative.
My older sister Courtney had her little girl on March 29th. I'm so excited and happy for them! I love seeing the number of nieces and nephews in my family grow. I decided I wanted to make a couple receiving blankets and matching burp cloths for my new niece Piper.
In the past few years I've made multiple blankets and completed other sewing projects successfully. But these receiving blankets are a little bit... different. I had helped my mom pin a receiving blanket before, and done the decorative stitch around the outside. I should be able to make one on my own, right?
In the past few years I've made multiple blankets and completed other sewing projects successfully. But these receiving blankets are a little bit... different. I had helped my mom pin a receiving blanket before, and done the decorative stitch around the outside. I should be able to make one on my own, right?
Well, the blankets were made and they worked out. However, I did not sew them correctly. I messed up one thing after another, and eventually had to creatively "fix" them. I got so discouraged at one point that I texted Derek and told him, "If I ever get ambitious and decide that I want to sew clothes for our children, just stop me."
But! Since I'm going to have a baby of my own in six months, my mom decided that she had better show me just how to correctly sew these receiving blankets. And I did it! I sewed my blanket correctly and didn't have to unpick anything!
![]() |
| The blanket in progress. I've already sewn the two squares together, sewn the corners, and am going over the top with a really cute decorative stitch. |
![]() |
| And the finished product! It's folded up a little, of course. |
My mom let me pick out fabric to make a receiving blanket for a little girl and fabric to make one for a little boy. Since I don't know what I'm having yet, I'll be prepared and then I can save whichever one I don't use for this baby for another in the coming years.
If I may say so myself, isn't that fabric in the pictures above so cute?! I love, love, LOVE it.
I'm so proud of myself for finishing this project without any mishaps!
Feels good to finally have some sewing success.


CUUUUTE!!!!
ReplyDelete