Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween Houses with the Carson Family

I love Halloween. The weather starts to get gloomy, I can start burning holiday-ish candles, it gets cold enough for a first cup of hot cocoa, and I of course love the candy.

A fun Halloween activity that I did for the first time with my sister Devin in 2008 is to build Halloween Haunted Houses out of chocolate graham crackers, melted caramels, and Halloween candy. I teamed up with Jaena, and we built a totally awesome haunted castle.

(Please ignore the somewhat horrible picture of me, and focus on my cute niece and the awesome castle.)

This year, since Derek and I are lucky enough to live just three minutes away from my sister Abbie and her family, we decided to build haunted houses with them. It was SO MUCH FUN! 

After dinner was done and Jace was in bed, we all sat down at the table to start our houses. Derek was the one who started building the foundation of our house, and he was doing a great job. I then held up one cracker. Not even a whole cracker. Just one quarter of a cracker to the side to see what it would look like if we were to put it there, and the whole thing collapsed. I was frozen with shock while Abbie and Adam were busting up. My poor husband put everything down and said, "Have fun. I'm not touchin' it again." I started to laugh and did my best to persuade him to help me rebuild our masterpiece, but he decided he was done. So he ate candy, and built a few pieces for the haunted garden around our house. Needless to say, this setback made it quite difficult for us to continue building and expanding our house without driving the evening too late, so it is an incomplete house.

We were somewhat bummed because neither Broulim's, Albertson's, or Wal Mart had chocolate graham crackers. Stupid Rexburg!  So we settled for cinnamon graham crackers. 

Here's the finished product! Derek was too tired to get up off the couch and smile with me. So you only get me.

Derek and I had a lot of fun building houses, and we quite enjoyed Abbie and Adam's "Teepee Haunted House". They ended up creating an Indian chief and naming him Chief Too Tsie. If you want to see a picture of their house and the indian chief, click here.

Now, on to Thanksgiving . . .   I love the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment