I am a confident and good driver...when I am driving an automatic. Before this last March, the closest thing I had come to a manual transmission was our 4-wheeler. Lets just keep that in mind.
On Sunday Derek and I made some delicious brownies. We decided to take some over to Abbie and Adam so that they could share in the deliciousness that was the brownies we had made. (Yes, I said "was" because as of two days ago, they are gone.) After dropping off the treats and chatting with them for a few minutes, we said our goodbyes and headed out the door. I had been promising Derek that I would practice driving his car because it's a manual transmission, so he finally took me up on that and we drove to an empty parking lot for me to practice. So far, so good...a little rough, but I was getting the hang of it. He then said:
"Hey Tay, why don't you drive home?"
"Derek, I don't think I can!"
"Come on Tay, just drive home."
So without another word, I pulled out of the parking lot and drove home. Now, lets keep a few things in mind:
1. Before this evening, I had only ever driven a manual transmission once for about ten minutes.
2. I have never before driven in Rexburg.
3. I was extremely nervous and all my focus was on making sure I didn't kill the car in the middle of the road.
As I approached the roundabout, I realized that I was speeding. I slowed down, went through the roundabout, and as I look in the rear view mirror, I see flashing lights. My mind instantly goes into panic mode, my sympathetic nervous system kicks in, and I pull the car over and successfully kill it. I turn to Derek and say with panic in my voice, "I don't have my driver's license!"
I didn't have my license because I was not planning on driving that evening. After the officer explained to me what I had done, I was speeding (at least he was nice about it) he asked for my license and I said somewhat sheepishly, "I don't have it because I was not planning on driving this evening." Luckily, he took the insurance and registration and let us off with a warning.
When I finally pulled the car into the parking lot of my apartment complex, shut it off, and climbed out I looked at Derek and said, "Well we'll just see when the next time I drive your car is."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
ReplyDeleteYeah dani, LAUGH IT UP!
ReplyDeleteI actually learned to drive a manual in Rexburg, too. My first experience was pretty traumatic as well. I won't go into details, but I ended up almost in tears. I pulled the truck over, got out, and promptly announced that I was NOT driving anymore, and Jay would have to drive us home. :)
ReplyDeleteThe rest of my driving lessons were much more pleasant and I eventually learned to love driving the truck.
P.S. I'm glad you didn't get a ticket! Love you!
Hahaha. Oh Courtney. We are sisters. :) I love you!!!
ReplyDelete