Friday, September 25, 2015

"Caught"



It was an average day full of laundry, cleaning, and chasing around my crazy, and totally awesome, child. Reece was in her room looking at books while I was putting laundry away in my room. I usually despise putting away laundry. I don't mind the washing, drying, and folding part. But when it comes to putting away the laundry that I've taken so much time to wash, dry, and fold: Torture.

On this day, it wasn't so bad. My mind was filled with thoughts of someone I love very much and a trial they were going through. As I walked to my closet to hang up some shirts, I felt impressed to say a quick prayer for this person. So I got down on my knees and prayed silently to my Heavenly Father. As I was almost done, I heard Reece call my name and start walking to my room. My instant reaction was to hurriedly close my prayer and stand up. I can't remember what it was she needed, or what question she asked me, but I do remember what I felt. I felt silly! I laughed at myself. Why did I feel the need to hurry and finish praying so that my daughter didn't "catch me in the act?" What would have been so wrong about that?

I've never been someone who is all that comfortable praying in public. I am more than happy to say a prayer at church if called upon, but I can hardly ever muster up the courage to raise my hand when volunteers are asked for. But that doesn't matter. I want my children to see me living my faith. I want them to see and feel, through my actions, my faith in our Father in Heaven, my faith in the power of prayer, and my faith in the love that our Heavenly Father and Savior have for us. I want them to see me living my testimony! And even though this moment from months ago was a small thing, it has stuck with me, and I think I will carry it in my heart forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment