Friday, June 29, 2012

I'm Tired of It

My frustrations this morning center around one idea: honesty. 

How difficult is it to be honest? How taxing is it to admit the truth and to, if the truth demands it, take responsibility for a mistake that you made? I understand that doing so may be humiliating. Sure. You made a mistake and you're a little bit embarrassed about it. But will it not be that much better in the long run to immediately admit the truth than to have everyone eventually find out the truth, and upon doing so, discover that you were being dishonest? In my mind, and after twenty two years of living, it is obvious: tell the truth to begin with, get the humiliation over with,  and deal with the consequences.

There are too many dishonest people in this world who will do or say just about anything to have things swayed in their favor. It is wrong and unjust to those who are trying their best to do what they know is right. I guess life truly is never going to be fair due to the imperfections of the human condition. 

One would think that this honesty frustration wouldn't be as hard to deal with in places where the population of Latter-Day Saints is high. Well, that has not proven to be true for me in my experience. After living in Provo for about two years and after having now been in Rexburg for two years, I can tell you that people are imperfect, and they will be dishonest. Being imperfect is not an excuse for dishonesty. There is no excuse. 

I guess my views of telling the truth from the get-go are even a tad bit too idealistic for the "Rexburg bubble." People lie to get their way all the time. From emails to professors claiming "internet troubles" while trying to take the latest quiz to coordinating an against-the-rules group effort while taking an exam, dishonesty is everywhere. 

I'm tired of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment