Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day: Here's to You, Pop

Whenever I think of my dad, the first thing that comes to my mind is him laughing and smiling. That's my dad. 
No matter the rough day he's had, or the challenges he may be facing at the moment, I don't think you'll be able to find him without a smile. 

Memories of Saturday morning family clean ups and yard work, learning how to mow the lawn on our riding mower, long nights at the dining room table struggling to figure out calculus, and laughing hysterically while playing games all involve my dad. He was the one who would try and get us excited to do the yard work or clean up the house on a Saturday morning. He and my mom would come into our rooms, and pretend to make our beds with us still in it, and then be surprised as they sat down and found a giant lump under the covers.  

He showed me how to turn on the lawn mower, how to adjust the speed, the blade height, everything that I needed to know so that I could mow the lawn. And my dad was the one to stay up late with a stressed-out, emotional teenage daughter trying to talk calculus to her. 
Let me say this: man, is my dad patient. I'm not the fastest when it comes to learning calculus, it just doesn't click as quickly as other things. But when I'm emotional and stressed out, you wouldn't even be  to teach me left from right. So thanks, Dad. 

My dad is the man that every guy I dated had to compare to. They needed to have a testimony of the gospel and a love for our Savior. They needed to be kind, understanding, and loving. They needed to have a sense of humor and be able to make me laugh. They needed to understand the value of hard work. They needed to be honest and respectful. They needed to know when I need comforting and when I need to be persuaded to see the rational side of things. My dad is all of that and so much more. I am so grateful for the man and father that he was as I was growing up, and the wonderful man and father that he still is today. I will always look up to him and the example that he has set for me and how it helped me pick the perfect man to marry.



And, there he is folks. The man I chose to marry! I love that picture. 
Over the last year and a half of our marriage, I have come to recognize and realize the great amount of love and admiration that Derek has for his dad. I know that I am incredibly grateful for everything that he has done in raising Derek and helping him find his way to becoming the man that he is today. And I am grateful for the father that he has been to me as he has lovingly accepted me. The hugs that I get every time I see him are definitely something that make me feel loved and at home. 

As Derek and I are getting ready to have our first baby, it makes me even more grateful for the wonderful men that we both have as fathers. I can't wait to see what kind of changes being a dad to a sweet little girl will bring about in my husband. And we are both incredibly excited to become parents ourselves. 

With celebrating mothers and fathers within the past month, we both can't help but feel an increased love towards our parents and all that they have done for us.

So, on this Father's Day, we want to say thanks for all that you've done. Here's to you, pop. We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment