Thursday, June 9, 2011

You're Better Than That

I have a draft for my analysis paper due in my English class tomorrow. Did I procrastinate? Of course I did. And my problem is, I don't write "drafts." When I sit down to write my paper, I write my paper. Minor editing happens later, but it's basically done. So here I am, it's 11:20 pm. I'm sitting in bed with Derek sleeping soundly next to me. He's a good sport to let me work on homework while he sleep since the screen of my computer lights up the room.

Two and a half pages down. I'm doing a much better job on my paper than I thought I would. I took a moment to go back to the beginning and read what I had written so far, to make sure I was on track. All of a sudden, Derek started making funny noises. I stopped reading and looked over to make sure he was okay. 

Breathing? Yes.
Still sleeping? Yes.
Does he appear to be in any physical pain? No.
Alright, we're good.

I went back to reading, but then stopped when I thought I heard him say my name. 
"Tay..."
I looked at him. His eyes were open. Yes, it made me jump a little. 
"Derek?"
"Tay..."
"What?"
"Look at me."
I almost laughed as I said, "Derek, I am looking at you."
He closed his eyes and I thought he was going to go back to sleep, but apparently my husband does dramatic eye-blinks in his sleep, because that's what he did. When he opened his eyes back up, he placed his hand on my arm and said, "You're better than that." 
He stared at me for another thirty seconds, let go of my arm, and went back to sleep.

Considering that it is only 11:30 pm right now, and all of this happened just minutes ago, I still don't know what to think. 

Was Derek commenting on my paper? Am I a better writer than the paper I'm working on is showing? Is my paper really that bad? 

Naw, my paper is bomb-diggity (as Derek would say). 
My husband is just crazy.

3 comments: