All around the world, men become fathers every day. The moment they hold that new born child in their arms is one they will never forget. When he becomes a proud father of a bouncing baby boy, he swells with pride and boasts of his son. But when a man becomes the father of a beautiful baby girl, something quite different happens; the father melts with love and becomes softer, more understanding, and more loving.
As his little girl grows up, he loves her, scolds her, teaches her, and provides a safe and comfortable home and life for her. When she accidentally presses a button that puts a stop to the recording of his favorite show, he doesn't react in anger when she meekly comes to him with her confession. Instead he pulls her close, gives her a hug, and tells her "It's okay" and that he's glad she told him, because it was "a big girl thing to do."
When she falls and scrapes her knee because she was roller blading much too fast down the drive way, he doesn't scold her for trying to skate too fast or not wearing knee pads. Instead he smiles, laughs, and makes the situation not so dramatic as he bandages the lightly scraped knee.
On her sixteenth birthday, the father realizes she is not really his "little" girl anymore. She is in the middle of her teens, and she is going to start dating. He longs for the days when her little blonde head and blue eyes would come to him for every problem. She was old enough now where she relied on her own intellect, and stubbornly thought she knew everything. She had grown into a beautiful young lady, and he had faith that she would only continue to progress.
Seasons come and go, and fall arrives. She goes off to college and the father realizes he no longer has much of a say as to what she does with her life. All he can do is let her know he loves her and just wants what is best for her. As good and poor choices come and go, he is pained with every poor choice and lightened by each good one. His heart and mind are filled with love for her and concern for her well being. He knows he cannot intervene too much; he has to let her make mistakes, because how else will she learn?
But in the moment when he realizes that his daughter needs him more than ever, he rushes to her side without a second thought. There, ready to give her a hug and never let go, but lovingly scold her and talk some sense into her at the same time. His heart is heavy as his shoulder gets wet drop by drop. With mixed emotions of sadness at her pain but happiness at her potential happiness, he silently listens.
Then comes the beautiful summer day when he sees his daughter's tear filled eyes. Her smiling face is beaming with happiness as she hugs him and says, "I love you Dad." The ring on her finger is new, and the young man who placed it there is someone he can admire and respect. His love for her and gratitude to the young man are overflowing within him and only showing on the outside in the form a few tears rolling down his cheek. The realization that she is about to embark on the greatest journey of her life and that her priorities will soon be placed elsewhere, he becomes somber. While the thought of not being the one she goes to first for help anymore tugs at his heart, but he knows that she will be in good hands.
Every little girl deserves to have a father who is this loving and kind. I know that I am so grateful for the wonderful father that I have. And I am also so grateful for the Heavenly Father that I have.
From the time I was young I have known without a doubt that I have a father in heaven who loves me and watches after me. When I fall and scrape my knee, he is there to help lift me up again. He gave me agency to choose so that when I am stubborn and think I know what would be best for me in my life, I can learn for myself. And in those moments where I need him most, I feel his love and comfort.
I am so grateful for the blessing of prayer and how much comfort it can bring. God is loving and merciful; and no matter what may be burdening or ailing your mind, he will help ease the burden. His joy is full when you turn to him and obey his word. Just as my dad who I am so blessed to have, my heavenly father just wants my happiness, and wants to see me return again. Our father will never leave us.
In every condition, -- in sickness, in health,
In poverty's vale, or abounding in wealth,
At home or abroad, on the land, or the sea, --
As thy days may demand, so thy succor shall be.
In poverty's vale, or abounding in wealth,
At home or abroad, on the land, or the sea, --
As thy days may demand, so thy succor shall be.
"Fear not, I am with thee, oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid;
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by My righteous, omnipotent hand.
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid;
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by My righteous, omnipotent hand.
"When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o`erflow;
For I will be with thee thy troubles to bless
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.
The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o`erflow;
For I will be with thee thy troubles to bless
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.
"When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace, all-sufficient, shall be thy supply.
The flames shall not hurt thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.
My grace, all-sufficient, shall be thy supply.
The flames shall not hurt thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.
I love reading your posts, Tay. This one is beautiful. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Court. :)
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful, Tay. We definitely do have a pretty incredible Dad. Lucky, lucky girls!
ReplyDelete