Saturday, October 16, 2010

Late Night Freeway Adventures with Abbie, Taylor, and Adam

I have to start out with some memories from my childhood with my siblings. For those of you that might not know, I have three older sisters, a younger brother, and a younger sister. My family has grown due to marriages and recent births of beautiful babies! We have (from oldest to youngest):

  1. Devin Angulo and her husband Denson Angulo and their three kids Alex, Jaena, and Ian.
  2. Courtney Brooksby and her husband Jay Brooksby and their darling daughter Riley.
  3. Abbie Carson and her husband Adam Carson and their adorable boy Jace.
  4. Then there's me! 
  5. Adam Thetford 
  6. Morgan Thetford
...and of course, my parents. So my family now consists of sixteen members, soon to be seventeen (73 DAYS)! As we all grew up in our amazingly busy and raucous household, I shared a room with one of my siblings until I was 17 years old. The one sibling I shared a room with for the majority of my time was Abbie. She and I always got along quite well! ...mainly because she was patient and kind enough to deal with my rambunctious personality and teasing. I love to recount the story my mom has always told me how she would see Abbie running through the house with me close behind, my hand raised behind my head ready to hit my sister as soon as I caught up. 
Yes; I was a darling child. 

Through the years Abbie and I have spent many nights laughing and talking until the wee hours of the morning. The theme of these nights was always something stupid we had done together, or laughing at something stupid I had said. My main point: Abbie and I always end up doing something absolutely ridiculous when we get together. This time, however, we were oh so lucky enough to have my little brother (whom I love very much) in the car with us to make it that much more entertaining.

We were driving down the freeway Wednesday night, making our way to the airport to pick up my mom.  With our usual routine of already running behind schedule, we were antsy to get to our destination. Yet it always seems that there is always construction on the freeway. Thus being said, there was construction on the freeway that night. Just the big orange barrels along the side of the road. As we are driving, Abbie asks, "Hey,  are we supposed to go there?" I looked over to my right and saw that the road did veer to the right and there were big orange barrels lined up and down the sides of it. "I don't know... Adam, what do you think?" Well, before Adam had much time to respond Abbie had already turned to the right and was heading down the barrel-lined road. We were all silent as we realized that we had made the wrong choice; there was the faint glow of the "ROAD ENDS" sign up ahead. Laughter burst as Abbie turned the car around to get back onto the right road.

Upon going back down the barrel-lined road, we realized we had to make a very sharp turn to get back onto the freeway. At this point, none of us can stop laughing. We get back on the freeway, life is good, and we are set back another five minutes. 

Not two minutes later, the freeway does the same thing; veers off to the right with a road lined in barrels. "Hey Abbie, I think you're supposed to go that way," said Adam. I cracked up, laughing so hard my stomach hurt and we proceeded to talk about what people must have thought when they saw us driving down that road. 

"Wow, look at that idiot," was our favorite. 

While this story may not have made you laugh, it made me laugh harder than I had in a long time. I love my family; they're all amazing people! And no matter how stupid the things are that I might say or do, they still love me.

2 comments:

  1. Man, I would have LOVED to have been in the car with you all. Yes, our family is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do things like that all of the time. The only problem is that I'm usually alone. Try not to picture me alone, laughing at myself, wondering by MYSELF, what people are thinking about "that crazy lady in the orange car." sigh

    ReplyDelete