Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Dear Grandma

Hey there pretty lady. This past weekend was full of emotion, but it was the kind of full where you have had just enough, but not too much. Your services were beautiful; though I don't have to tell you that. You were there. You saw that chapel filled with people who love and miss you; whose lives were touched by your sweet spirit; and those people who will never be the same because they knew you.  I cried. A lot. But I'm proud of myself because I made it through the whole first verse of "Families Can Be Together Forever" without crying. But then when I looked at Paige and saw her eyes filled with tears, all hope was lost. My voice got caught in my throat and drowned in my tears as I stood on that stage in the chapel. Front and center, my tears spilled down my face as I tried to sing the last verse. Devin and Courtney were standing next to me and it was a great comfort to have my sisters with me, knowing they were crying too. 

On this last Saturday we had a birthday celebration for you. Although you were probably having the best birthday party ever up there, we sure missed your sweet spirit and contagious giggle at the dinner table. The enchiladas were delightful and the mayonnaise spice cake was soooo good! However, the empty chair at the head of the table was strikingly vacant; and even though the tune and lyrics of the brief song we were singing were happy and celebratory, my heart did not reflect the same. But Grandma, I was so filled with peace this whole weekend. Hearing your siblings and my aunts and uncles speak of you with such tender words made me determined to emulate your very meek and kind spirit throughout the rest of my life.

I love you Grandma. Happy late birthday.

Love, Tay

No comments:

Post a Comment