Saturday, October 13, 2012

Reece's Birth Story

We were halfway through a regular appointment at the doctor on Monday, September 30th when he said, "So, we have you scheduled up at the hospital for Thursday?"

I guess the shocked look on both of our faces caused him to second-guess what was written on the paper and check with the nurses.

He came back and said that it must have been a mistake that we were scheduled for an induction on Thursday (I was due on Thursday), but that since she was measuring ahead and I was already dilated to a 4, that we could schedule an induction. So we decided on Friday, October 5th.

My alarm went off at 5:30am on Friday morning. I called labor and delivery up at the hospital, told them I was scheduled for an induction, and they told me that they were all full at the moment, but that they would call back at 9:30am. So I said thanks, hung up, and went back to sleep.

I woke up at 6:15am to my phone ringing. It was the hospital saying that they were ready for me and that I needed to get there as soon as I could. So I hurriedly woke up Derek, hopped in the bath, and then woke up my mom.


We left the house around 7:00am and got checked in at the hospital 15 minutes later. My nurse came in and hooked up the monitors to my stomach, gave me my lovely hospital gown, and told us that the doctor would be there to break my water when he was able. 

It was just before 9:00am when the doctor came in, checked me (still at a 4), and then broke my water. After he broke my water, the nurse got me started on pitocin. 

By 11:00am I was really feeling hard contractions lasting between 60 and 90 seconds with only a couple minutes in between. The nurse came in around 1:30pm to check me and see how I was doing, and I was between a 6 and a 7. So she called the anesthesiologist to get ready to give me my epidural.

The anesthesiologist got there around 2:00pm and twenty minutes later, I was all hooked up. An incredible feeling of warmth traveled down my legs. It was crazy. And amazing.

At 5:30pm the doctor came in to check on me and I was complete! So, the nurse told us how and when to push. With Derek right next to me, I only had to push for a little over an hour, and Reece was born at 6:41pm. 

She's perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment