Friday, October 14, 2011

Minuet of the Insomniac

I feel like insomnia drives to me the edge of a cliff and just before I'm about to fall off and completely lose it, the rational side of me takes the wheel and steers me to safety. My mind goes through these circles of thought that lead me nowhere but right back where I was when I started: awake and irritated. 

A minuet, by definition, is a social dance from France for two people. Well let me tell you, I dance my own kind of minuet when I cannot seem to fall asleep at night. I feel like there are two different people inside of me.
First - A person who is determined to keep my mind running through different thoughts over and over again, until I am so far past the point of falling asleep that it drives me mad.
Second - A rational person who knows that sleep is necessary for me to function tomorrow in my 7:45 am chemistry class. A rational person who tries to calm my mind down by picturing bright red numbers scrolling by on an imaginary theater screen. 

These two states of mental stability fluctuate back and forth within my mind, and I like to call it the "Minuet of the Insomniac." It's a cute little dance in 3/4 rhythm that eventually makes me so crazy, that I end up looking just as frightening as the poor woman in this cartoon on the right.

Now, I don't really have insomnia. I just have an incredibly fragile and volatile body clock. Once I get on a schedule I have to stay on it or else this happens. I end up awake at 1:00 am while Derek snoozes away beside me. I end up writing a blog post that most likely will be read by no one.

And I end up making ridiculous analogies between an 18th century social dance and my frustration at my lack of sleep. 
Sleep. I need sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment